How does Ignition Interlock work?
The car breathalyzer tracks your vehicle activity anytime someone attempts to start the vehicle and while anyone is driving. The data provides a record of violations to your state/monitoring authority.
Each state has its own rules, but generally:
- If you’re sober, you’re ready to go.
- If you have alcohol in your system (the amount depends on your state or local laws), the vehicle won’t start.
- The IID requires random retests after you have started your vehicle. For your safety, we strongly recommend that you pull over to take these tests when your device alerts you.
Is an Interlock Device easy to use?
Using an Ignition Interlock is easy. Blow into the device for three or four seconds while humming at the same time, and you’ll hear a click that signals the test is complete.
Depending on state laws, our car breathalyzers support a “blow-and-hum” technique to confirm that it’s a real person taking the test. Blow-and-hum is more sanitary and less complicated than a blow-inhale-blow pattern used by car breathalyzers from other companies. You can also help keep your device sanitary by cleaning or changing out the mouthpiece regularly.
How do I get an Ignition Interlock Device installed?
That’s our specialty. Contact us at (800) 831-3299 to set up an appointment, or schedule an appointment online. We’ve got thousands of service centers, so we’ll find a location that’s convenient for you.
Ignition Interlock installation typically takes a couple of hours, and it’s easy to set a same-day appointment. Our skilled technicians will:
- Install your Interlock Device.
- Demonstrate the proper way to use it.
- Give you hands-on training so you’re comfortable using it.