If convicted of a DUI in TN, 1st or multiple, the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security (TDOSHS) will require you to install an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) in your vehicle if you…
- Had a breath alcohol concentration (BAC) level of .08 or higher.
- Had a combination of alcohol and prescription or illegal drugs.
- Were involved in a wreck where alcohol was a contributing factor.
- Had a child under the age of 18 in the vehicle with you at time of arrest.
- Refused the breath or blood test and had a prior conviction for implied consent, underage driving, open container or reckless driving when the original charge was for DUI within the last five years.
- Are guilty of a second or subsequent DUI offense within five years.
For all arrests after July 2016, the court must require an IID unless the court specifically orders that the one of the above factors do not apply. In addition, if you are convicted of a DUI, you must install an IID for 365 consecutive days with the final 120-day period free of violations. Missing a calibration at any point during your 365-day period is a violation.
* All Tennessee IID’s have a camera installed per regulatory standards to take your picture while you perform a breath test.
* You will be responsible for all costs and installation services for the IID and bring your vehicle in for regular monitoring and service. You may be required to attend and complete DUI school, as well as doing community service and attending a victim impact panel meeting.
How to Get Your Restricted License Quickly in Tennessee
How to Reinstate Your Driving Privileges After a DUI in Tennessee
How Much Does a DUI Cost in Tennessee?
|DUI Offense||Jail Time||Fee|
*IID fees not included
|Suspended License Period|
|First||2 days to 11 months||$350 to $1,500||1 year|
|Second||45 days to 11 months||$600 to $3,500||2 years|
|Third||120 days to 11 months||$1,100 to $10,000||3 to 10 years|
*Additional fees, jail time, and suspension periods may apply.
For additional information and resources, please refer to the links below: