For first-time offenders and repeat OWI (Operating While Intoxicated) offenders, your license will be confiscated immediately per Iowa’s Administrative License Revocation (ALR) if:
- Your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level was .08 or higher
- You refused a breath test
The Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) requires offenders to have an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) installed and maintained on their vehicle if their BAC was .10 or higher. You’re required to pay for all costs associated with the IID, from installation, monthly lease payments, and service fees to removal.
How to Get Your License Quickly in Iowa
Please note that the steps listed below are specific to first-time offenders. For repeat offenders, please contact the Iowa Department of Transportation.
- Apply for the Iowa DOT Temporary Restricted License.
- Contact your insurance provider to get SR-22 insurance.
- Follow up with the DOT to ensure that you have met all requirements for your restricted license.
- Schedule an appointment to have your ignition interlock installed with an approved Smart Start interlock service provider by calling 800.831.3299.
- Visit a DOT Drivers License Center and bring your completed paperwork for your restricted license. Pay any remaining fees.
- Complete any pending court regulations.