For first-time offenders and repeat DUI offenders, Michigan OWI (Operating While Intoxicated) law requires a mandatory six-month license suspension. You will need to install and maintain an breath alcohol Ignition Interlock Device (BAIID) on your vehicle if:
- Your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level was .08 or higher
- Your ability to drive was visibly impaired due to drugs and/or alcohol, even if below the legal limit per Michigan’s OWVI (Operating While Visibly Impaired) law
The Secretary of State is required to revoke the licenses of repeat offenders. You’re required to pay for all costs associated with the BAIID, from installation, monthly lease payments, and service fees to removal.
How to Get Your License Quickly in Michigan
- Submit your documents for appeal to the Michigan Driver Appeal and Assessment Division (DAAD) of the Michigan Secretary of State so your license can be restored.
- Schedule an appointment, upon approval, to have your ignition interlock installed with an approved Smart Start interlock service provider by calling 800.831.3299.
- Visit a local Secretary of State branch office and submit your proof of installation.
- Complete any pending court regulations.