For first-time offenders and repeat DUI offenders in Kansas, your license will be confiscated immediately per the Administrative License Revocation (ALR) if:
- Your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level was .08 or higher
- You refused a breath test
The Kansas State DMV requires Ignition Interlock Devices (IID) for all DUI offenders. You’re required to pay for all costs associated with the IID, from installation, monthly lease payments, and service fees to removal.
How to Get Your License Quickly in Kansas
- Obtain an ignition interlock permit from the Kansas Department of Revenue. You will receive instructions from the DMV on how to complete this task.
- Serve 45 days of ‘hard suspension.’ After this period you can apply to modify your license to drive. Once your application is approved, you can drive, with an installed interlock, to and from work or school during the remainder of the suspension (if you choose to modify your license). Once your suspension period is satisfied, you can then serve the restricted period where you can drive anywhere with the interlock.
- Schedule an appointment to have your ignition interlock installed with an approved Smart Start interlock service provider by calling 800.831.3299. Remember: if you are not eligible, you cannot legally drive.
- Bring all of your paperwork to the Smart Start installation service center. The center will notify the Driver Control Bureau of your installation.
- Complete any pending court regulations.