Anybody who keeps a close eye on their alcohol intake – whether it’s using an Ignition Interlock Device, pursuing a fitness regimen, being pregnant or testing a sober-curious attitude – is likely to spend the holiday weekend in search of the perfect Labor Day mocktails. Naturally, Smart Start is happy to help.
It’s a great time to break out of a diet soda / seltzer water / club soda rut. You want a Labor Day mocktail that looks exactly like it belongs at a summertime outing. If it leaves people thinking “I bet that tastes really good,” then you’ve got a sure-fire winner.
Labor Day Mocktails Keep You Safe & Stylish
You want a festive and safe alcohol-free alternative that keeps you firmly in celebration mode. You’ll look right at home mingling with guests with colorful drinks that look perfect for the last days of summer.
From The Washington Post, Self magazine, and Town & Country magazine, here are five simple ideas for Labor Day mocktails. They’re stylish, refreshing and anything but boring. Best of all, they don’t require an extraordinary amount of preparation.
1. Super Seltzer Sangria
This faux sangria looks just like the real thing, and tastes great.
- Choose fruits like blueberries, grapes, strawberries, apple chunks or orange slices. Cut the bigger fruits down to size, then dump all of the fruit into a large pitcher.
- Add 2 cups of white grape juice and 3 cups of cranberry juice.
- Let the whole thing chill in the fridge for at least two hours, then mix in 1½ cans of refrigerated seltzer water.
2. The Nilsson
This Labor Day mocktail is a perfect fit for summertime, as well as being a little nostalgic. If the name seems a little odd, it will resonate with anyone whose musical tastes run to classic rock. “(Put the Lime in the) Coconut” was a hit by the late singer/songwriter Harry Nilsson in 1971. This drink pays appropriate homage.
- 2 oz. of fresh lime juice (about 2 limes).
- 1 oz. of coconut cream.
- 2 dashes pimento bitters, if desired.
- Shake over ice cubes, and strain into a glass of crushed ice.
3. Virgin Watermelon Margarita
Here’s one drink that tastes even better when it’s alcohol-free.
- Cut the rind off a medium seedless watermelon, and cut it into chunks.
- Puree enough chunks so that you have 4 cups of watermelon puree.
- Add a half-cup of fresh lime juice, and five tablespoons of sparkling water.
4. Mountain Mojito
This variation of the classic drink is more than just a Labor Day mocktail. It works any time of year. It requires a little more preparation, but it’s worth it.
- Muddle 4 fresh mint leaves in a Collins glass with a half-ounce of lime juice and a half-ounce of agave.
- Add a half-ounce of blood orange puree, add ice and top it with soda water. Garnish with fresh mint.
5. Pineapple Cobbler
If you feel like being simple but stylish, here’s a refreshing approach.
- Combine a half-ounce of lime juice with 3 ounces of pineapple juice.
- Shake well with ice, then strain it into a clean highball glass over crushed ice.
- Top it with club soda, then float strawberry juice on the stop.
There’s no reason Labor Day mocktails have to be boring. To have a safe holiday, just let your imagination be your guide.
Choose Smart Start to Get Back on the Road
If you’re ready to install an Ignition Interlock with Smart Start, we’re ready to help! Call (800) 831-3299, fill out our online form or sign up for the Client Portal either on the web or through our mobile app, available for download via the App Store and Google Play.