Do you know when you’ll need an Ignition Interlock in Rhode Island? If you are arrested for a DUI, you will most likely have to install an Ignition Interlock to drive again during your driver’s license suspension period. Let’s talk about next steps and when you need to install your Ignition Interlock.
Ignition Interlock Law in Rhode Island
At your court hearing for your DUI, you may have been ordered to use an Ignition Interlock. The court can also order a hardship license, which requires an Ignition Interlock.
The rest of the requirements to receive a hardship license are below:
- Proof of installation of an Ignition Interlock (installation certificate that you receive at your Interlock provider’s service center)
- Proof of SR-22 insurance
- The fees associated with the hardship license and Ignition Interlock
The requirements for a court-ordered Ignition Interlock are similar, but there are a few differences. For example, you will need to pay, attend and complete DUI school.
How Long Do I Need the Ignition Interlock?
This question varies, since each DUI case’s circumstances determine how long you’ll need an Ignition Interlock. However, below is a general example of how long you’ll need the Ignition Interlock in Rhode Island.
A first DUI conviction
- License suspension between 30 to 180 days. If required to use an Ignition Interlock, there will be a minimum, 30-day license suspension and then use an Ignition Interlock between three months to one year.
Second DUI conviction (within five years)
- License suspension between one to two years. There is a minimum 45-day license suspension for an Ignition Interlock requirement, and then you’ll use the device between six months to two years.
Third or subsequent DUI conviction (within five years)
- License suspension will last between two to three years. There will be a minimum 60-day license suspension and then having an Ignition Interlock between one to four years.
Circumstances such as aggravation factors or test refusals could increase or add on to the penalties related to your DUI conviction.
Have any questions? Confused about next steps? Feel free to call Smart Start, Rhode Island’s preferred Ignition Interlock provider, at (800) 831-3299. Our Customer Care Center will help you!
Need to Install an Ignition Interlock in Rhode Island?
Schedule an Installation
Save up to $200* on your installation just by providing some details. Let's get started.