What if I Need to Leave My Vehicle But Have an Ignition Interlock in It?

Smart Start Interlock Device Installation

If you need to leave your vehicle for a while but you have an Ignition Interlock installed, such as military deployment, you may be wondering what to do. Or if you are a family member, you may need to know what to do with your loved one’s Ignition Interlock in their vehicle.

There is not one answer since these certain rules differ from state to state but can also vary by your county. It makes a difference whether the type of state you are in is an administrative, judicial or hybrid Ignition Interlock state.

Ignition Interlock State Laws if I Must Leave My Vehicle for a Long Period

Depending on where you live, you may be able to either:

  • Continue with your Ignition Interlock program;
  • Pick up where you left off when you return; or
  • Have the device removed with proper approval.

For some cases, it is possible that a family member or spouse can bring your vehicle with the Ignition Interlock installed to our service center for regular services such as calibration appointments.

In some states, your monitoring authority must contact our Customer Care Center for device removal authorization. After the removal authorization is processed by our team, you can then call Smart Start to schedule a removal appointment. Or you can approve a family member or spouse to do this for you.

Please keep in mind that you cannot drive a vehicle without an Ignition Interlock if you must use one!

Our Customer Care Center is always standing by and ready to assist. If you ever have any questions during your Smart Start Ignition Interlock program, call our team at (800) 831-3299.

Need an Ignition Interlock Installation?

Smart Start can provide a reliable Ignition Interlock with fair prices, many locations and 24/7/365 customer service. Call today at (800) 831-3299 or fill out our short online form.