When your SSI-20/20™ or SSI-20/30™ Ignition Interlock has the “Hum Stronger” message on the screen, it is generally because the device is detecting too many variations in your hum tone and cannot read your test accurately.
Smart Start knows that the test pattern of blowing and humming at the same time can be confusing. We also understand the frustration of getting an error message like “Hum Stronger” when you’re positive that you’ve done everything right. If your screen is reading “Hum Stronger” after you’ve done your best to blow and hum, it may be because you’re varying your hum tone when you blow. Doing your best to stay on the same pitch and blow steadily can help you eliminate the “Hum Stronger” error message that is preventing you from successfully completing your test. Here is our step-by-step guide to a successful blow-hum pattern:
- Make your hum tone deeper.
- Keep your hum steady throughout your test, trying your best not to vary its intensity or tone.
- Don’t forget to blow before you begin humming, and to keep blowing as you begin to hum!
- When it’s time for you to begin humming, you can say “who” to stimulate your hum and regulate the speed and tone with which you hum.
- Keep blowing and humming until you hear the click signifying that your IID has gotten enough of a breath sample to accurately read your test.
Smart Start knows and understands that the blow-hum pattern isn’t always intuitive. We know that having an Ignition Interlock Device is a new and confusing experience, but we’re always here to help if we can. We offer online training videos that may provide additional help with any issues you might have, and our 1,500 service centers nationwide are staffed with friendly technicians who can answer your questions and provide in-person training. Don’t forget to check out our FAQ page for additional support!
Schedule an Installation
Save up to $200* on your installation just by providing some details. Let's get started.