For DWI offenders, the New York courts may require you to install and maintain an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) in your vehicle if you…
- Had a breath alcohol concentration (BAC) level of .08or higher.
- Refused a breath test or were unconscious at the time of the test.
- Are guilty of a second or subsequent DWI traffic offense.
- Had a child in your vehicle while intoxicated.
* All New York IID’s have a camera installed per regulatory standards to take your picture while you perform a breath test.
* You will be responsible for all costs and installation services for the IID, and bring your vehicle in for regular monitoring and service.
How to Get Your License Quickly in New York
- Serve any jail or suspension time, as well as completing the New York Drinking Driver Program (DDP) and community service hours, if applicable.
- Complete the Restricted License form.
- Provide proof of car insurance and financial responsibility through an SR-22 form. Your insurance agent or company can provide this paperwork.
- Call 800.831.3299 to schedule an appointment to have your interlock device installed with a state-approved, Smart Start interlock service provider.
- Finally, pay all applicable fees to the DMV or the court handling your case.