For first-time offenders and repeat DUI offenders, your license will be confiscated immediately per California’s Administrative License Revocation (ALR) if:
- Your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level was .01 during DUI probation
- Your BAC level was .04 while driving a commercial vehicle
- Your BAC level was .08 or higher while driving a noncommercial vehicle
- You refused a breath test
California courts may also require you to install and maintain an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) on your vehicle (depending on location). You’re required to pay for all costs associated with your California interlock device, from installation, monthly lease payments, service fees to removal. You may also be required to attend a DUI or substance abuse court referral program.
How to Get Your License Quickly in California
- Contact the California DMV to enroll in a DUI program per your license suspension requirement.
- Complete the DMV Form 44 as part of the reinstatement process.
- Call your insurance provider to get proof of financial accountability such as an SR-22
- Resolve outstanding balances and pay all of your fines.
- Contact 1.800.831.3299 to schedule an appointment to have your interlock device installed with an approved Smart Start interlock service provider.
- Complete any pending court regulations.