How Can I Charge My Battery with an Ignition Interlock?
Your Ignition Interlock Device (IID) works in a symbiotic cycle with other parts in your car, and for it to work properly, the car parts have to work as well!
A battery in good condition is essential for a happy driver and a working vehicle! It’s also pertinent that your battery be in good condition for your Smart Start Ignition Interlock Device to work properly.
If you have the SSI-20/20™ or SSI-20/30™, you can test to make sure your battery has enough voltage by pressing the # sign, and then 2 on your user-friendly keypad. If your battery is below 12 volts, your battery may prevent your breath sample from registering effectively. You may need to charge your battery to ensure that your battery does not interfere with the accuracy of your breath tests. Just follow these simple steps:
- If your state allows it, disconnect your head unit from the curly cord before you connect jumper cables or a charger to your battery. You can only disconnect the head unit while your vehicle is off. As of 1/8/16, only New York and Wisconsin do not allow you to detach your head unit while the car is off, but laws are always subject to change, so check first!
- Retrieve the user manual for your car, truck, or crossover vehicle.
- Follow the instructions in your vehicle’s user manual to connect the jumper cables or charger to your battery.
- After charging the battery for the determined amount of time, reconnect the head unit.
- Try to start your vehicle as you normally do.
- Remove the jumper cables or charger as instructed by your owner’s manual.
Following these steps should allow you to keep your battery in effective shape so your breath tests will be as accurate as possible! Your Smart Start Ignition Interlock Device (IID) is designed to work WITH your battery, not against it.
If you have any further questions about your ignition interlock system and the way it interacts with the rest of your car, you can always visit our FAQ page or call our Customer Care Center at 1-800-831-3299. Smart Start is here to help you throughout the duration of your restriction driving program!
Schedule an Installation
Save up to $300* over the course of your IID program vs. other national competitors. Get started today!
Ahorre hasta 300 $* en el curso de su programa IID en comparación con otros conpetidores nacionales. ¡Empieza hoy!