For first-time offenders and repeat DUI offenders, your license will be confiscated immediately per Colorado’s Administrative License Revocation (ALR) if:
- Your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level was .08 or higher
- You refused a breath test
Courts in Colorado may require offenders to install and maintain an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) on their vehicles. You’re required to pay for all costs associated with the IID, from installation, monthly lease payments, and service fees to removal.
How to Get Your License Quickly in Colorado
- Wait out your revocation period as you cannot drive during this time.
- Complete the Reinstatement Application Form DR2870 and submit it to the Colorado DMV 30 to 60 days prior to your license reinstatement date.
- Verify your eligibility by contacting the DMV.
- Schedule an appointment to have your ignition interlock installed with an approved Smart Start interlock service provider by calling 800.831.3299.
- Contact your insurance provider to get proof of financial accountability such as an SR-22 certificate.
- Complete an Alcohol Certification Form DR2598 if your first offense was not a high BAC.
- Complete the Restricted License Ignition Interlock Agreement Affidavit Form DR2058 and have it notarized.
- Mail your completed ignition interlock lease agreement and installation certificate to the address on your application.
- Enroll in a Level II Alcohol Education class if you were suspended a second time or had a high BAC level of .15 or greater.
- Complete any pending court regulations.
How Much Does a DUI Cost in Colorado?
|DUI Offense||Jail Time||Fee|
*IID fees not included
|Suspended License Period|
|First||5 days to 1 year||$1,000||9 months|
|Second||90 days to 1 year||$1,500||1 year|
|Third||70 days to 1 year||$1,500||2 years|
|Fourth||70 days to 1 year||$1,500||2 years|
*Additional fees, jail time, and suspension periods may apply.
For additional information and resources to help you regain your license in Colorado, refer to these links: